Joy of Cooking

3.03.2011

This post is for my stepdad.  For Christmas, he gave me "Joy of Cooking" with a sweet inscription:

"Heather,
Uno non puo pensare bene, amare bene, dormire bene, se non ha mangiato bene!
Buon Natale
Amore,
Dad"

Meaning:
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one hasn't eaten" (Virgina Woolf)

I cried when he gave it to me.  It was an extremely thoughtful gift, and it made me feel like I had proved myself enough to follow in his footsteps (he cooks the most amazing, gourmet food.  my friends were always trying to have dinner at my house growing up - and...well, they still do).  I adore cooking, especially baking, and find the kitchen quite an enjoyable place to be.

Although I hadn't gotten around to many recipes in it since Christmas (except, predictably, baked goods), I've had the desire to roast a chicken.  I felt like it was a real, grown-up meal...and was surprisingly easy.  I'm pleased to say that I didn't under-cook it or burn it.  It was hard not to eat it in its entirety in one sitting!

Now, off to the bastu (sauna) with a couple of friends.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

Serendipitous Misadventures All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger